My Photo
Name:
Location: Huaraz, Ancash, Peru

Having mastered the University of Montana's IYFD program, I journeyed to Peru with the US Peace Corps. Currently, I'm discovering Peru while living in the gorgeous Andes mountains in beautiful Ancash. Come visit!

Monday, May 23, 2005

His Greatness is Ours

"When Queen Victoria was a child, she didn't realize that she was in line for the throne of England. Her instructors, trying to prepare her for the future, were frustrated because they couldn't motivate her. She just didn't take her studies seriously. Finally, her teachers decided to tell her that one day she would become the queen of England. Upon hearing this, Victoria quietly said, 'Then I will be good.' The realization that she had inherited this high calling gave her a sense of responsibility that profoundly affected her conduct from that day forward. "

I love the movie The Incredibles, and I don't know how many people notice, but that movie shows the way we celebrate mediocrity. When I think back to my years as a teacher, I think of how frustrating it was to see students not strive for good grades and knowledge because they thought they'll make it big in music or sports. All of that is fine, but what about being the best at everything you do. So often we look at the Christian life as if it's a struggle to survive. We pick and choose what we will be good at. I'm going to go to church every Sunday, but I don't have time to spend daily reading the Bible with the Holy Spirit. Or I love musical worship, but I don't know how to pray. Why do we celebrate mediocrity even in the midst of the spiritual life?

Here's a little secret for us all: God completes us. He makes us the best we can be, if and only if, we are willing to allow him to use us for his good. We don't have to pick and choose from the Christian-walk-buffet. We can trust God in all that we are and live in the greatness of his sacrifice, his son, Jesus. Let's strive to spend time in all ways, at all hours, seeking his greatness for our lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home