My Photo
Name:
Location: Huaraz, Ancash, Peru

Having mastered the University of Montana's IYFD program, I journeyed to Peru with the US Peace Corps. Currently, I'm discovering Peru while living in the gorgeous Andes mountains in beautiful Ancash. Come visit!

Monday, April 11, 2005

When God Interrupts

Sometimes the church life seems as busy as school. If I get even slightly involved in a Bible Study, Small Group, or Sunday School class, I get overwhelmed with all of the extra work that comes with it. I am currently the happy participant of a Sunday School class studying the gospel of John, a Wednesday night study of Colossians, a Church-wide study of The Purpose Drive Life, my own personal study of Becoming a Vessel God Can Use, not to mention I have bookmarks in both Deuteronomy and Pslams, and I'm reading the Apocrypha - currently in Sirach. That's a lot to try to keep up with, and this morning when I was complaining to my mentor about all my "homework" (and now that I have it in writing, I realize it really is a lot) I felt awful. I mean there is a lot of hardwork on the part of a lot of people to get these programs up and running for the people that need them. I also learned today, that it's really about finding the importance in other people more than telling other people I habe it in me.

"Don't be selfish; don't live to make a good impression on others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourself. Don't think only about your own affairs, but be interested in others, too, and what they are doing. Your attitude should be the same that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not demand and cling to his rights as God. He made himself nothing; he took the humble position of a slave and appeared in human form. And in human form he obediently humbled himself even further by dying a criminal's death on a cross." Philippians 2:3-8 (NLT)

What a wake up call! I really need to let go of my selfish ambition, my way and my rights. None of them matter when we look at all of the selfish ambition tossed aside by Christ on the cross. So all of those activities I participate in are more about mission than they are about ego. It's not about me and what I get out of them, it's about those around me and how can I love on them.

I found this prayer today from a 17th Century Nun, and I hope to pray it every day of my life (with meaning and truth):

17th Century Nun's Prayer

Lord, thou knowest better than I know myself that I am growing older
And someday will be old.
Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something
On every subject on every occasion. R
elease me from craving to straighten out everybody's affairs.
Make me thoughtful but not moody, helpful but not bossy.
With my vast store of wisdom it seems a pity not to use it all,
But thou knowest, Lord, that I want a few friends at the end.
Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details;
Give me wings to get to the point!
Seal my lips of my aches and pains - they are increasing
And the love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by.
Keep me reasonably sweet; but know that I do not want to be a saint just yet -
Some of them are so hard to live with.
Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places,
And talents in unexpected people.
And give me, O Lord, the grace to tell them so.
Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home