My Photo
Name:
Location: Huaraz, Ancash, Peru

Having mastered the University of Montana's IYFD program, I journeyed to Peru with the US Peace Corps. Currently, I'm discovering Peru while living in the gorgeous Andes mountains in beautiful Ancash. Come visit!

Friday, April 08, 2005

Down with Fast Food Christianity!

Yesterday, I started to write this great blog…and then the site crashed. Aggh. So I’ve learned my lesson. From now on all posts will be written and saved to Word, then transferred to the weblog. Not that any of you are concerned, just an explanation for my frustrations with all of this.

So as I was saying yesterday:

A friend of mine inadvertently misquoted Joyce Meyers the other day. She said, “Do not make a 20 day wander out of a 40 day journey.” Ms Meyers said it in reverse, but something about this sentence really connected with me. How often in these crazy times do we try to brush off working through things with God? We have become such consumers of the “fast food” mentality. I want things now. I want my burger now. I want my family now. I want my frustrations solved now. Yet, if don’t take time to really process these trials with God, I’m afraid we’re never really going to learn anything. Take Hebrews 6:1 for example: “Therefore let us go on toward perfection, leaving behind the basic teaching about Christ, and not laying again the foundation…” God wants a deeper relationship with us. Why do we want a Fast Food God?

When we make a 20-day wander out a 40-day journey, we end up playing a game of spiritual dodge ball. Whoop God ya missed me. Dang, that one hurt, but that’s okay I’ll get back in the game eventually. Life with God is so much better when we really invest in the times that he teaches us something. Lately, I’ve been learning a lot about taking my time with God. In the midst of a difficult education God has shown a lot of mercy and care with my heart and my soul. In fact, in spite of the pain, I’m finding that I would rather feel pain than the “blahs.” Oh the dreaded “blahs” of spirituality. We’ve all been there, walking through life in a daze, numbed by TV or Video games or any number of things, and one day we wake up and cry out to God we just want to feel something, anything!

So next time you tell someone that you aren’t doing so well, and they brush you off with don’t worry things will get better, I give you permission to slug them. Okay, maybe not slug them, but ignore them. We don’t need fast food solutions to our spiritual minds. We need a God who will walk tenderly with us in all situations, even if it’s a 40-day journey.

“And we want each one of you to show the same diligence so as to realize the full assurance of hope to the very end, so that you may not become sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.” Hebrews 6:11-12

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home