My Photo
Name:
Location: Huaraz, Ancash, Peru

Having mastered the University of Montana's IYFD program, I journeyed to Peru with the US Peace Corps. Currently, I'm discovering Peru while living in the gorgeous Andes mountains in beautiful Ancash. Come visit!

Friday, March 04, 2005

Reference Check

So I've been working at MCT for over 6 months now, and I hate to admit it, but I'm overpaid. You see I make plenty of money, and I often have plenty of time to spare at work. Now mind you, I'm accustomed to jobs where I'm overworked and underpaid, so this might just be a case of working a normal job for once. But it is a little jarring to sit around all day and check what the synopsis of the next Gilmore Girls will be (Luke and Lorelai back together - yeah!). Recently, my boss added a little more sustenance to my working plate, which I truly appreciate. I am now the reference checker for all future MCT Tour Actor/Directors. Yep, that's right, I decide people's fates on a day to day basis based off of what other people say about them.

A large part of my job requires reading between the lines. It means that if I hear someone stammer and stutter about a certain aspect of a person's character, then I need to keep probing until I understand more about the person being referenced. You can learn a lot about someone from sighs, mm-hmms, and complete avoidance of the question. Be careful about who you chose to be a reference for you.

Aren't you glad we don't have reference checks to get into heaven? I mean to think that your eternity could hinge on whether or not someone can articulate your good works or not, would be a little scary. Heck, we wouldn't even be good references for ourselves, because God knows all the sin in us. He reads right through our stuttering and stammering. Instead he gave us the ultimate reference, Jesus. A man who said not only will I speak up for that person, I'll die for that person. Wow!! In the midst of our blahs and mirkies there is Jesus who intercedes for us.

"Therefore, my friends, since we have confidence to enter the sanctuary by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain (that is, through his flesh), and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us approach with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who has promised is faithful." Hebrews 10:19-23

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home